Premier Inc. is a leading healthcare improvement company, uniting an alliance of approximately 3,750 U.S. hospitals and more than 130,000 other provider organizations. With integrated data and analytics, collaboratives, supply chain solutions, and advisory and other services, Premier enables better care and outcomes at a lower cost. Premier, a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient, plays a critical role in the rapidly evolving healthcare industry, collaborating with members to co-develop long-term innovations that reinvent and improve the way care is delivered to patients nationwide. Premier’s clinicial surveillance solution, powered by TheraDoc®, is in over 1000 facilities and is leveraged by clinical teams to improve patient care through real-time insights which maximize the performance of healthcare organizations.
The challenge clinicians face is not a shortage of data. It is the overwhelming amount of data generated across a hospital in a given day, where patients are admitted, transferred, and discharged. During this symphony of activity, clinical data is continuously being created with ever changing medication orders, new lab results, vital signs, and completed procedures.
Premier helps clinicians see through the abyss of data to find the critical information they need to deliver patient care. The clinical surveillance solution integrates a variety of transactional data sources from the hospital and provides clinicians automated surveillance tools that evaluate the data to identify at-risk patients before they have adverse events, hospital-acquired conditions, or drug-related problems. These analytics empower clinicians by providing right patient information at the right time.
The challenge that Premier faced was alerting clinicians as the at-risk patients were identified and providing the contextual clinical information a clinician needs to take action on the issue. The web-based application has traditionally been used by clinicians at a workstation or perhaps on a laptop. Knowing that clinicians are not always with a computer, the question became, “How can we ensure that clinicians are always made aware of critical issues as they happen? How do we provide the value of clinical surveillance to clinicians and equip them with the latest clinical data so they can take actions that improve patient care?”
Premier addressed the following challenges:
● No access to real-time patient data and alerts: Important alerts and the latest clinical data were not readily accessible when clinicians were away from their computers.
● Real-time notification: Clinicians must repeatedly check to see if new alerts are available versus being notified of alerts as they occur.
● Reduced patient interaction: Clinicians spent more of their time at a computer workstation to retrieve data, leaving less time for patient education and engagement.
While working to address the challenges above, Premier’s team found themselves on a long and complex journey. They knew they needed a partner that could provide immediate value in an on-going project where there were complex business requirements and existing market expectations.
Premier selected Skookum for its team’s range of capabilities and specialization in digital strategy, user-experience design, and mobile development.
Skookum immersed themselves in Premier’s environment to gain a clear understanding of the business needs, the hospital ecosystem and Premier’s stakeholders. This provided clarity on clinician tasks, workflow and data requirements. It also informed the development of a framework and intuitive mobile design experience that would be simple for clinicians to use.
“Skookum provided Premier with a valuable set of tools including a framework, high-quality and extensible design language and prototype," said Craig Barret, Senior Product Director, Premier Inc. "This equipped us with the ability to quickly deliver on-the-go patient care through a new mobile platform, which extends our brand and our technology.”
● Customer value-add: Provides Premier with an innovative and value-add way to expand its portfolio of offerings for existing and new clinical surveillance customers.
● Focus on what matters: Partnering with Skookum allowed Premier to address its time-sensitive digital needs while remaining focused on its core business.
● Faster time to market: An intuitive and flexible design framework and tools equipped Premier to rapidly deliver a new commercial offering and extend the power of clinical surveillance now and into the future.
● On-the-go access to patient data: Clinicians can quickly respond or intervene on critical patient medication issues via a mobile device.
● Extend access of clinical surveillance insights: Create rosters, alert views and push notifications for members outside of your clinical team.
● Increase patient engagement: A mobile solution untethers clinicians from their workstation to spend more time providing quality care through intervention and education.
● No learning curve: A simple and intuitive mobile user experience brings clinicians back to the bedside and empowers them to quickly access patient data or trigger an action by simply swiping left or right.
Watch Premier's Senior Product Director, Craig Barrett's Tech Talk: "Identify At Risk Patients Between the O's and 1's."
Craig Barrett, Senior Product Director, Premier Inc.
“Skookum provided Premier with a valuable set of tools including a framework, high-quality and extensible design language and prototype. This equipped us with the ability to quickly deliver on-the-go patient care through a new mobile platform, which extends our brand and our technology.”